A guide to narrowboats with a baby
14th September 2022
Looking at booking your first family break with a new baby? If you’re researching holiday ideas with babies, you might be wondering what preparations you’ll need to take before you go away, or you might just be wondering if a narrowboat holiday is suitable for a baby. In this helpful guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about travelling on a narrowboat with a baby.
Can you take a baby on a narrowboat?
In short – yes. You can take a baby on a narrowboat and there are plenty of reasons why booking a narrowboat holiday with a baby would be a great option for a getaway in the UK. But, there are also some important points to be aware of when taking a baby on a narrowboat, especially if it’s for the first time.
Considerations when booking a narrowboat break with a baby
Whilst a narrowboat holiday is both a relaxing and rewarding choice, there are a couple of important details to take note of when taking your baby on a narrowboat break. These include:
- Make sure you have a travel cot: Not all travel cots will be able to fit the width area safely. If you’re not sure if your travel coat will fit, our guide explains what type of travel cot you can safely bring aboard.
- Choosing a suitable boat: Not all boats are suitable for a break with a baby. Here at ABC Boat Hire, we have a choice of 7 boats available to accommodate a travel cot. Including Swan, Owl, Wagtail, Woodpecker, Dove*, Duck and Swallow.
- Be wary of locks: On some routes, locks are manned. However, locks can take 2-3 adults to operate. You may need to be mindful of whether you’d be able to carry your baby in a sling or leave your baby with another adult while you operate the lock. It might be worth noting that it’s good boat etiquette if there are two boats who wish to enter the lock, that you both enter at the same time, which means you might get some extra help operating the lock.
A narrowboat holiday can be an enjoyable break for young families as long as you take in these considerations and follow the safety requirements.
Benefits of taking a baby on a narrowboat baby
Taking your baby on the waterways on holiday, in our opinion, is a sure way of creating memories you’ll treasure forever. Some of the reasons for taking your baby on a narrowboat holiday could include:
- A good night’s sleep: Music to any parent’s ears - you might find the gentle movement of the water and the hum of the motor help your baby sleep well, meaning you get a good night’s sleep too!
- Milder temperatures: In the past few years we’ve experienced scorching hot summers in the UK, with temperatures reaching a boiling 37C in some parts of the country. As a narrowboat holiday is on the water, you’ll find it a little bit cooler on the waterways.
- Experience nature: A canal is a perfect base to get in touch with nature. Cruising past the local wildlife is a great way to experience the local flora and fauna with your child, from the safety of the narrowboat.
- Sensory experience: Traveling by narrowboat is a unique sensory experience that everyone can enjoy. The way the sun reflects on the water, the light coming through the trees and the sound of nature are all stimulating to a baby’s senses.
If you’re looking at booking your next family holiday, we have you covered with a wide range of canal routes available. We also have a guide for kid-friendly routes for children of all ages. For more information about boating with babies, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our helpful team today.
*Except from Gailey